Specialists in Strata Title Law
Pobi Lawyers provide specialist strata law advice and services in the following areas of law:
- Advices on the law of strata and community title
- NCAT Strata Application and Appeals
- Drafting simple and complex strata by-laws including special privilege and exclusive use by-laws
- Strata and Community Title Litigation
- Strata levy recovery
Pobi Lawyers is an established and respected specialist strata law firm conveniently located in Sydney
Pobi Lawyers is a specialist strata law firm in Sydney’s CBD which is committed to providing a high level of strata and community title law advice and services to the strata industry. With our technical proficiency and direct client-lawyer communication we ensure that our clients’ legal requirements are met. The firm’s principal Michael Pobi is well regarded for his personal service and specialist advice which genuinely add value. As Pobi Lawyers continue to grow, we are committed to delivering our clients high level specialist legal services across a range of strata title law matters.
We act for lot owners, owners corporations, executive committees, community associations, members of building management committees, strata managing agents and property lawyers.
We communicate in plain English, are client focused and take pride in delivering advice in the following areas of law:
Strata and Community Title Law
- Advices on Strata and Community Title Law
- Advices on Company Title Schemes, Memorandums of Association and Articles of Association
- Drafting simple and complex strata by-laws and community management statement by-laws- Here is a sample no smoking by-law Sample No Smoking By-Law
- Drafting Strata Applications- Here are sample orders to appoint a compulsory strata managing agent to an owners corporation Sample Orders to Appoint Compulsory Strata Managing Agent
- Drafting common property rights by-laws, exclusive use and special privilege by-laws under sections 141 and 143 of the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015
- Drafting a range of by-laws under sections 141 of the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015
- Drafting, amendment and repeal of simple and complex by-laws
- By-law auditing and reviews, advice on validity of by-laws, updating by-laws as required by owners corporations
- Drafting leases and licence agreements over common property
- Advices on by-law enforcement issues
- Advices on Strata Management Statements and Community Management Statements
- Drafting and amending Strata Management Statements and Community Management Statements
- Advices on meeting procedures, proxy requirements, motions and resolutions
- Advices to Building Management Committees
- Grants of rights of use or development of lots or common property e.g. easements, leasing, licensing and by-laws
- Advices on defamation issues in strata schemes
- Advices on strata management agency agreements and amending strata management agency agreements
- Advices on the validity and effect of dispute resolution clauses
- Advices on the termination of strata management agency agreements/caretaker agreements
- Drafting, negotiating, amending and terminating caretaker agreements, building management agreements and strata management agency agreements
- Advices on changes of use, development applications and owners corporation’s consent issues
Strata and Community Title Law Disputes
- Drafting NSW Fair Trading mediation applications
- Attending NSW Fair Trading mediations
- Drafting and responding to Strata Applications/Orders in NCAT (formerly the CTTT) involving keeping of pets, smoking, noise, breaches of by-laws, compulsory appointment of strata managing agents, breach of an owners corporation’s duty to maintain and repair common property and a wide range of other orders.
- Applications for an Interim Order and Stay of NCAT Proceedings
- Applications for a renewal or revocation of an Interim Order
- Advices on prospects of success of NCAT appeals
- Appeals of a Tribunal’s decision to NCAT’s appeal panel
- Appeals of an NCAT appeal panel decision on questions of law
- Drafting and responding to applications for Penalty Proceedings
- Declarations to invalidate by-laws in the Supreme Court of NSW
- Claims for damages for trespass and nuisance to lot and common property
- Claims for re-instatement of common property and breaches of by-laws
- Commercial and contractual disputes involving breach of contract and termination
Property Law Disputes
- Property disputes involving sale and purchase of land, leases, licenses, easements, trespass and nuisance
- Dividing Fences Act disputes arising under the Dividing Fences Act 1991 including retaining walls
- Trees disputes arising under the Trees (Disputes Between Neighbours) Act 2006 see The Owners – Strata Plan No. 53809 v The Owners – Strata Plan No. 10622  NSWLEC 1022 Land and Environment Court of NSW
- Injunctions to restrain trespass to land, defamation and noise
- Preparation of settlement deeds
- Assistance preparing for expert determinations and appeals
- Advice on the validity of dispute resolution clauses
- Termination of strata agency agreements/caretaker agreements
- Encroachment to Land disputes
Pobi Lawyers have a network of professionals including valuers, architects, surveyors, quantity surveyors, structural engineers and builders whose involvement in resolving strata law disputes is sometimes needed.
Michael Pobi is dedicated to continuous legal education in strata law. In October 2014, Michael Pobi presented a seminar to iCLE titled “Strata By-Laws 101” which is directed towards property lawyers, general lawyers, strata managing agents, executive committees and lot owners. A link to this online seminar can be found here Strata By-Laws 101 . Due to popular demand, Michael again presented an online webinar for property lawyers via CPD for Me in March 2015 and in March 2017.
Michael is also an active contributor to LookUpStrata providing legal articles of interest in strata law.
To arrange an appointment with Michael Pobi, please contact us on (02) 8324 7565.
Strata Title Law
Strata Legal Advice and Representation
If you require strata legal advice or if your matter involves a strata dispute, we kindly ask that you e-mail us the following details which will be treated with complete confidentiality:
- Your full name, street address, contact number and e-mail address.
- Your lot number and strata plan number.
- The full name and contact details of your strata managing agent.
- Some brief comments on what your matter is about.
Upon receipt of the above information from you we will first determine if we have a conflict of interest. If we have a conflict of interest we will inform you as soon as possible that we are unable to act. If we are able to act for you, we will send you our Costs Disclosure and Costs Agreement (“Quotation”) within 24 hours of receipt of the above information which sets out our professional services to be carried out on your behalf, our estimated costs of doing so and our general terms and conditions of engagement.
If you are a new client, we reserve the right to request payment of our legal fees in advance in our trust account. This means that we cannot use your money to pay our legal fees until we have done the work, sent you our tax invoice and obtained your prior written approval to pay our tax invoice from your money held in trust.
Once we have received written confirmation of your acceptance of our Quotation and your payment of our legal fees into our trust account (if required), we will contact you to organise a suitable date and time for the meeting or tele-conference.
Please note meetings/tele-conferences are held during Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Thank you sincerely for all your outstanding work in the matter of our Child Care Centre. I’m full of admiration for your straightforwardness, attention to detail and persistence. You were very diligent in keeping me and ensuring I was always informed, kept to your fee estimate and extremely professional. As you know we have already recommended you to others and will continue to do so. We are very grateful, Life Property Group Pty Ltd”.
A recent testimonial from a client of mine Life Property GroupBill Ryder
“Having dealt with large numbers of lawyers over the years I have observed that there are very good lawyers and also no-so-good lawyers. You very much fall into the “very good lawyer category”.J. Pauling
“I would like express my personal thanks for all your help and support through out our strata issues and NCAT application.
In all my dealings with you, I found you to be very down to earth, highly intelligent and extremely approachable. I also appreciate that you have always available on the phone and via email.
I can not speak highly enough of you and have already recommended you to others and will recommend you time and time again.
I was extremely impressed with your professionalism and the way that nothing was a problem whenever I asked anything of you. That is pretty rare in my experience and just wanted to say thanks.
To anyone who wants to use your services, they can be confident that they will be treated with respect and professionalism and that you will strive to bring you the best possible results.”M. Shetab
“Thank you for the draft by-law, it really hits the mark of what needs to be achieved here. Thank you for your assistance and professionalism.”C. Hauser
I have dealt with Michael and engaged him in a strata dispute. Michael’s commitment, knowledge and actions were of a high quality, best practice lawyer working for his client’s interest and best outcome. I recommend Michael to any person who requires specialist advice on strata and community title. R. Favetti.R. Favetti
New Strata Laws
Alert: The new strata laws will commence on 30 November 2016. To find out how they make affect you, please call Michael Pobi on (02) 8710 3430.